Deep Fried Nian Gao 炸年糕

At the end of term 1 Chinese School SMC's morning tea, one of the ladies brought in a tray of these: deliciously warm, gooey, sweet pancakes with sweet potato & Nian Goa inside. I ate, literally, at least 8 of these, which was a third of the tray. 

I thought she was a genius! That she had invented this dish! I asked her for the recipe which I'll put below but she was really blase about it, not in a mean way, in a really humble way like the snack is nothing special and its so easy. By the way, Pa says she did not invent this dish, its apparently a common street snack in Malaysia. Pft, once again proof I know nothing about living in Malaysia.

Well to me the recipe is not enough for me to recreate the dish so I found one online that may be better, I haven't tried it yet. The reason why I picked this recipe to try later is because her photo looks most like the photo of the exact one I ate that morning, in terms of Nian Gao and sweet potato thickness. The batter on her picture is thinner and crisper, this one was thicker and soft.  http://cheateat.typepad.com/blog/2007/01/nian_gao.html


Ingredients
Nian Gao, cut into slices
Sweet Potato, sliced thinly then microwaved so its at least par cooked
Usual Pancake batter

Directions
Sandwich a slice of Nian Gao and sweet potato together, slip into the pancake batter then straight into the pan. I think she said to pan fry, but most online recipes say to deep fry. If pan frying, flip then drain on paper towels.


Comments