Basic Western Beef Brisket

eg.me bought back a beef brisket in a roll for roasting so I decided to look up how to cook it online. I found this basic recipe http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/member-recipes/Brisket%20of%20beef%20with%20delicious%20gravy/1220 and decided to give it a try. I'm all for quick simple things as at any moment rf.me will need a feed, then gg.me will need saving from wherever he has climbed up to and then sw.me will need to know how to do some thing on the internet. As usual we didn't have everything in the original recipe at home, but managed to make do and it was very pleasant to eat.

I took the roll apart as I didn't have a baking tray tall enough to ensure the brisket was submerged in liquid, which is essential, I had a tiny part sticking out and it didn't become soft like the other parts of the brisket, even after I tried to turn it and submerge it later. As well as that, when I separated the roll, obviously the outside part had fat on it, but the inside part didn't. The meat under the fat became buttery soft as it should, the meat with no fat didn't. It was alright just not as brisket should be. So a thin layer of fat is better.

I don't normally have white wine on hand but eg.me's parents visited recently and left an open bottle.

(No photo yet)

Ingredients
1.5 kg rolled beef brisket, unrolled
1 bunch of spring onions, cut into batons
5 cloves garlic, peeled and whole
3/4 l stock
1/4 l white wine
black pepper to taste


Directions
Lay the spring onion batons across the base, with the garlic. Lay the beef on top, and completely submerge the meat. Sprinkle pepper on top. I didn't add salt as store bought stock is normally very salty.
Place in a pre-heated oven of 160C for at least 3 hours. And that's it!

NB I notice online, people thicken the leftover soup when finished into a gravy, but I had a lot of liquid and decided to keep it as a soup for leftovers. There was also enough meat left over to make sandwhiches tomorrow, yay!

Comments