Restaurant Review: Rotiboy Bakeshoppe

Rotiboy wasn't around when I was in high school in Malaysia but its fame preceded it to Australia and I first heard about it when my cousin yjy tried to devise her own recipe for it on her now defunct cooking blog. It seemed awfully complicated but awfully delicious. The next time I came back to KL, I actually sought it out and was delighted. Really delighted.




Luckily for you and I, Rotiboy is a rather large chain and is not that hard to find. I love how whimsical a "Bakeshoppe" sounds. You will often see a regular short queue of customers, picking up other yummy treats such as chicken ham croissant (no pork to be halal see) and mini chocolate tarts.




But the star is the Rotiboy which can be purchased in a combo deal with Teh Tarik, a sweet condensed milk tea, my favourite! It is a rather large bun with a hard coffee tasting crust on the top and when you bite into it, you taste sweet soft dough, the nice warm oozy buttery insides.




This is hands down my favourite snack. I sneak down as often as I can be bothered to negotiate the lifts with a double pram.



Rotiboy 1 Utama
Lot LG353A, 1 Utama Shopping Centre
1, Lebuh Bandar Utama, Bandar Utama City Centre
Bandar Utama, 47800 Petaling Jaya
Selangor, Malaysia03-77317350
http://malaysia.rotiboy.com/index.php?p=locations


edited: I have been reading the history of the brand and there are some lovely passages on their website:
Founded in Bukit Mertajam, Penang, Malaysia in 1998, the first Rotiboy was a neighbourhood bakery which baked fresh breads and loafs for household, kids to bring to school, cakes for birthdays celebrations, home-makers were our best friends. We've been growing ever since, and our brand has evolved into specialty stores and bakery cafe concept stores at over 220 stores throughout Asia 
"Rotiboy" has its beginnings in the bond between the founder and his nephew. They are close ever since the nephew's birth in 1996, with the nephew crawling to the uncle's bed every morning and the uncle, sometimes drinking milk from his bottle. One fine day, the founder's brother was teasing his nephew by calling him "naughty-boy" and that inspired " Rotiboy ". "Roti" means "Bread " Therefore, Rotiboy literally, means "Breadboy" , a name very suitable for a bakery in a multi racial Malaysia. 
In essence ... We celebrate life ...

ahh I love it more and more.

Comments

Post a Comment